During the digital age, automation tools come in handy for engineers. IT automation tools are either being created or being implemented by everyone. Automation is one of the most effective ways to save time, improve efficiency, and increase productivity. You can identify threats and vulnerabilities during run-time with these software automation tools, and prevent time from being wasted on refactoring.
Approximately 35% of organizations already use automation tools for testing and another 29% plan to use them in the future. This is based on market research from a well-known organization.
DevOps is built entirely around automation, from code generation, integration, and delivery to continuous testing and monitoring. The reason DevOps has achieved so much success is that operational teams are automating all their work. In a typical DevOps system, a developer’s machine generates a piece of code, then that code produces some output, which is monitored at every level. By automating this process, we trigger the build and run unit tests.
Other basic test cases, such as code quality, coverage, and security, can also be automated. Test cases for automation aren’t limited to unit testing, they also include UI testing, user experience testing, and installation testing. Using DevOps automation tools for operations means automated processes are implemented at all stages of the process, from provisioning of servers to configuring of servers, troubleshooting issues with networks, and monitoring of production systems.
- Torvald made this DevOps automation tool while juggling several large distributed development projects.
- Source code management software (SCM) tools like Git are among the most popular software technologies.
- System and protocol compatibility is assured.
- Team members who are working remotely love this tool. Open-source contributors have praised this tool as well.
- Tracking your development progress is possible using Git.
- Your source code can be saved in various versions here and you can use them as required.
- New features can be merged into separate branches when the launch is complete. Therefore, it is useful for experimenting as well.
- Large projects using Git can be developed in a nonlinear, distributed manner.
- Whenever there are enough useless objects created, it automatically begins to accumulate garbage.
- A network byte stream named ‘packfile’ is used by Git to store newly created files.
- Jenkins is a Java-based program that can be run independently.
- Among its supported operating systems are Windows, Mac OS X, and other Unix-like platforms.
- In addition to being a CI server, Jenkins can also be used as a continuous delivery hub.
- Jenkins’ web interface makes it easy to set up and configure.
- A built-in help system and on-the-fly error check are also provided.
- Jenkins integrates with almost all tools in the continuous integration and continuous delivery process.
- Jenkins’ plugin architecture allows it to be extended.
- This tool helps distribute work across multiple machines so you can develop, test, and deploy your code across multiple platforms.
- Docker is a set-of-platform as service products.
- By utilizing OS-level virtualization, it delivers software by way of containers.
- You can run and share container-based applications from the developer’s machine to the cloud.
- Docker Desktop, Docker Hub, and Docker Engine are part of the Docker core building blocks.
- Container images are stored on the Docker Hub, the largest image library in the world.
- It can handle 1K nodes.
- With zero downtime, you can update your infrastructure and application.
- Docker makes it easier for developers to ramp up productivity and deliver apps more quickly.
- Chef is credited with founding the DevOps movement.
- There are thousands of innovative companies working with Chef on a global basis.
- It provides practices and platforms to enable rapid delivery of software in order to realize its vision of digital transformation.
- Software distributions provided by Chef are tested to ensure they are hardened.
- Patches and bug fixes are issued for the duration of the product life cycle to maintain security and stability.
- It gives you the option of getting organized content into your Enterprise Automation Stack quickly and easily.
- With its clock function, you can maintain a smooth flow of events.
- The Ansible automation engine is incredibly simple to use.
- The solution automates cloud provisioning, configuration management, application deployment, intra-service orchestration, and other tasks related to building and maintaining IT infrastructure.
- Since day one, Ansible has been designed for multi-tier deployments,
- Since there are no agents or complex security infrastructure to deploy, this tool is easy to use.
- Playbooks in Ansible format contain YAML.
- Using Ansible, you connect to your nodes and deploy modules to them.
- Once executed, Ansible removes the modules.
- Servers and databases are not required, so your library of modules can be installed anywhere.
- The server monitoring software Nagios is well-known on the market.
- As it offers agents and agentless support for your servers, it is a perfect fit in the zone due to the flexibility that it offers.
- There are over 5K different additions available for monitoring your server.
- Your organization can quickly detect application, service, or process problems with its effective monitoring service.
- With Nagios, you can monitor applications and their state, including:
- In addition to monitoring applications, services, operating systems, networks protocols, and systems metrics, Nagios XI also monitors network infrastructure.
- Your log data can be searched more easily with Nagios Log Server. You are notified when threats arise.
- Three open-source projects are represented by the acronym ELK: Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana.
- Elasticsearch is an analytics and search engine.
- As the name suggests, Logstash is a server-side data processing pipeline that allows users to ingest data from multiple sources simultaneously, transform it, and store it in a “stashed” format.
- Kibana displays data as graphs and charts in Elasticsearch.
- This is the next evolution of the ELK Stack.
- This search engine is an open-source, distributed, RESTful, JSON-based service.
- Scalability and flexibility make it popular among users.
- ELK’s worldwide community keeps pushing boundaries by analyzing security events and creating metrics that can be sliced and diced freely.
Our specialists have prepared a list of the best DevOps tools. We hope you found the right one from the list. DevOps services provided by IT Outposts will help you improve your operations while reducing costs. Whenever you need help with DevOps, just contact us.
Dmitry has 5 years of professional IT experience developing numerous consumer & enterprise applications. Dmitry has also implemented infrastructure and process improvement projects for businesses of various sizes. Due to his broad experience, Dmitry quickly understands business needs and improves processes by using established DevOps tools supported by Agile practices. The areas of Dmitry’s expertise are extensive, namely: version control, cloud platform automation, virtualization, Atlassian JIRA, software development lifecycle, Confluence, Slack, Service Desk, Flowdock, Bitbucket, and CI/CD.